Skip to main content

Noodle 4: Flying Horse M Rice Noodles

Type: dried

Size: 14 oz.

Price: $2.39

Price per oz.: $0.17

Broth:
Kroger onion soup mix
Laoganma spicy chili crisp

Vegetables:
Enoki mushrooms

My boyfriend's favorite instant noodles are onion flavored rice noodles. I thought it would be fun to make a not-so-instant version of them. (Still much more instant than making onion soup from scratch.)

This was pretty simple. I cooked the noodles according to the package instructions. Then I cooked the soup according to the package instructions. Then I put the noodles in the soup. I added enoki mushrooms about halfway through the soup process. As usual, this was improved by the addition of Laoganma spicy chili crisp. I would have added eggs or other vegetables, but I didn't have them in the house, and this is supposed to be an easy meal.

I wouldn't say this was a huge improvement on the instant version. It is cheaper. I'm not sure that is worth the extra effort, though. Maybe I'll try a homemade onion soup for another package of rice noodles.

The rice noodles were very easy to prepare and delicious. I only used half of the package, so I will be revisiting these noodles soon, probably for a stir fry.

Popular posts from this blog

Noodle 9: Lucky K.T. Co., Inc. Steamed Chowmein

Type: fresh Size: 14 oz. Price: $2.19 Price per oz.: $0.16 For this noodle, I adapted Joshua Weismann's The Cheapest Noodle Dish Ever (Chicken Chow Mein). Alterations: Instead of hoisin sauce or oyster sauce, I used mushroom based vegetarian oyster sauce. Instead of fresh garlic, I used jarred (the fresh garlic I bought had sprouted significantly in the few days since I bought it.) Instead of chicken, I used tofu. Instead of celery and bean sprouts, I doubled the carrots and green onions. This was just alright. I don't think it was enough sauce, and the noodles were very very dry. I would try this again with different brand noodles and I'd use 1.5x sauce (hopefully with fresh garlic!) I think the fault mostly lies with the noodles. Luckily, I made the full package of noodles (had leftovers for lunch for a week), and now I don't need to find a way to use them again.

Noodle 5: Qiao We Birthday Noodles

Type: dried Size: 16.7 oz. Price: $2.98 sale (regular price: $3.99) Price per oz.: $0.18 (regular price: $0.24) Sauce: 1/2 cup soy sauce 1/4 cup rice wine 2 Tbsp brown sugar Vegetables: 1 small yellow onion Broccoli 2 heads bok choy Green onion I saw birthday noodles in the noodle aisle and knew I had to pick them up for my birthday. I didn't have the time to look up a traditional longevity noodle recipe on my birthday, so I used the same sauce as Noodle 1 . I used 3 bundles of noodles, which was about half of the package.  The main cooking instructions on the noodle package called for a 3 minute cook time. Otherwise, it was all up to me. First, I cooked the onions in a bit of oil. Then I added the bok choy and broccoli. I removed those from the heat. Then I cooked the noodles in boiling water, drained them, and added them to the vegetables. I added the sauce and let it cook down. Then served! The sauce turned out milder than the first time, which was nice w

Noodle 3: Round 2

The original Noodle 3 blog can be found  here . I adjusted the sauce recipe from last time. Last time, I thought the sauce was doing too much. So I simplified it to a 2:1:1 ratio of peanut butter to sesame oil to soy sauce. It was perfect. I topped it off with a cucumber (one lil pickling one), sesame seeds and Laoganma spicy chili crisp. This isn't the end of my journey with peanut sauce or Wu-Mu Silver Line Noodles (still have some left in the package).