Skip to main content

Noodle 1: Twin Marquis Yakisoba Noodle


Type: fresh

Size: 16 oz.

Price: $2.59

Price per oz.: $0.16

Sauce:
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup rice wine
2 Tbsp brown sugar

Vegetables:
3 heads baby bok choy
1 can baby corn
1 can water chestnuts

Meat:
3 chicken thighs

I followed the cooking instructions on the back of the package, which read:

"In a small bowl, mix together the soy sauce, rice wine, salt and sugar, stirring to dissolve. Heat oil in skillet on medium heat. Fry meat and vegetables separately and place over noodles, and then pour sauce over everything. Cover and cook for 3-5 minutes and then remove lid and toss the mixture together until it is well combined.

* For best result, warm up noodle before cooking with microwave 1-2 minutes at medium power."

Here is my interpretation of those instructions: I began by cubing my chicken and cooking it with salt on the skillet. Then I added the chopped bok choy, corn (pre-cut) and water chestnuts (pre-cut). I cooked them until almost done. Then I removed them from the skillet and set them aside. I microwaved the noodles at full power (because who knows how to change the microwave power?) for 1 minute on a plate. Then I placed the noodles at the bottom of the medium-heat skillet, poured the vegetable and chicken mix over the noodles, then poured the sauce over. I coveted and cooked for 3-5 minutes, tossed the mixture, and served.

My sauce: With no ratios given, I think I did an alright job. I'm glad I didn't add extra salt because cooking the chickens and vegetables with salt plus the soy sauce was plenty of salt. Brown sugar was the right move. I'd like to try different ratios of rice wine to soy sauce to sugar because I have no idea what I'm doing. I'd also want to heat up the sauce to dissolve the sugar better before pouring it over the noodles.

The technique: I'd have used the same amount if sauce total, but used some on the chicken and vegetables before combining it with the noodles. The way the cooking instructions were written, the vegetables didn't get much sauce.

The leftovers stored well.

Overall, great first noodle!


The Twin Marquis website has this recipe for their yakisoba noodles that I would like to try in the future.


Popular posts from this blog

Noodle 9: Lucky K.T. Co., Inc. Steamed Chowmein

Type: fresh Size: 14 oz. Price: $2.19 Price per oz.: $0.16 For this noodle, I adapted Joshua Weismann's The Cheapest Noodle Dish Ever (Chicken Chow Mein). Alterations: Instead of hoisin sauce or oyster sauce, I used mushroom based vegetarian oyster sauce. Instead of fresh garlic, I used jarred (the fresh garlic I bought had sprouted significantly in the few days since I bought it.) Instead of chicken, I used tofu. Instead of celery and bean sprouts, I doubled the carrots and green onions. This was just alright. I don't think it was enough sauce, and the noodles were very very dry. I would try this again with different brand noodles and I'd use 1.5x sauce (hopefully with fresh garlic!) I think the fault mostly lies with the noodles. Luckily, I made the full package of noodles (had leftovers for lunch for a week), and now I don't need to find a way to use them again.

Noodle 5: Qiao We Birthday Noodles

Type: dried Size: 16.7 oz. Price: $2.98 sale (regular price: $3.99) Price per oz.: $0.18 (regular price: $0.24) Sauce: 1/2 cup soy sauce 1/4 cup rice wine 2 Tbsp brown sugar Vegetables: 1 small yellow onion Broccoli 2 heads bok choy Green onion I saw birthday noodles in the noodle aisle and knew I had to pick them up for my birthday. I didn't have the time to look up a traditional longevity noodle recipe on my birthday, so I used the same sauce as Noodle 1 . I used 3 bundles of noodles, which was about half of the package.  The main cooking instructions on the noodle package called for a 3 minute cook time. Otherwise, it was all up to me. First, I cooked the onions in a bit of oil. Then I added the bok choy and broccoli. I removed those from the heat. Then I cooked the noodles in boiling water, drained them, and added them to the vegetables. I added the sauce and let it cook down. Then served! The sauce turned out milder than the first time, which was nice w

Noodle 3: Round 2

The original Noodle 3 blog can be found  here . I adjusted the sauce recipe from last time. Last time, I thought the sauce was doing too much. So I simplified it to a 2:1:1 ratio of peanut butter to sesame oil to soy sauce. It was perfect. I topped it off with a cucumber (one lil pickling one), sesame seeds and Laoganma spicy chili crisp. This isn't the end of my journey with peanut sauce or Wu-Mu Silver Line Noodles (still have some left in the package).